Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Truffles in Eastern Sierras in July???

I almost forgot to tell you about this. Hubby Mark and I went up to Tahoe in July to visit family. On the way there we stopped for the night in Mammoth Lakes to break up the drive. Yes, it is a rough life we lead...Mark knew of a nice little restaurant at nearby Convict Lake aptly named, The Restaurant at Convict Lake, so we headed there for dinner. As we perused the menu what do you think we saw?
Chicken Marsala - Penne Pasta
sauteed with roasted red bell peppers, truffles, capers, cremini mushrooms
and finished with asiago and fried basil.....$21.95

That's right - a dish with truffles in it! Truffle snob that I am, I complained that they must be frozen seeing as how the harvest season had long since passed. Mark ordered the dish anyhow and when it came you could definitely smell the pungent propanish-garlicish scent of truffle. I personally couldn't taste them in it and couldn't distinguish between the cremini mushroom slivers and truffle shavings, if any. I'm thinking it may have been truffle oil that was used. It was still pretty good, though.

Incidentally, the restaurant is nice, if a bit pricey. Then again, if the dish had real truffles I guess $21.95 is cheap. Note that they do not, however, serve chocolate milk, and could not figure out how to take the chocolate syrup that is no doubt behind the bar or in the cooler and add it to milk. Forget the truffles, I judge a restaurant by its ability to produce a glass of chocolate milk for me even when it's not on the menu.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummm, I want to go the restaurant at Convict Lake. We just got back from Mammoth but we have a 7 month old and a 3 year old so we don't go to nice restaurants right now.

So did you order it? How was the dish?

Well, although Tehachapi doesn't offer a whole lot of diversity concerning dining out, I still like to hear what others have to say about local eats. There is a place to put your opinion out there...you ladies sound like you have good taste. read/post food reviews here

Anonymous said...

Well now that I look again I see Mark ordered it, duh!

I sure hope they didn't just use truffle oil when they said "truffles" on the menu!

I too am one who grades a restaurant on what they can come up with that is not on the menu. Of course that's when I feel like a good cook in my own kitchen...when I develop a tasty, unplanned cuisine. Especially chocolate milk, such basic ingredients

EazyMoney said...

Great Blog.

Truffles in July eh? Well if they weren't Belgian summer truffles, they could have come from Australia or New Zealand as thats about the time that they begin to harvest their truffles.(being in the southern hemisphere and all)
In fact they had a truffle festival from August 1st-5th this year.

So if that was the case then $22.00 was a good deal.

But there are several kinds of "truffles" and I didn't see the article mentioning a particular type.

Can't wait for the next article.